If you know me, you know that I work on a lot of Drupal sites. You might also know that SliceHost (now a part of RackSpace) is one of the most affordable and simple VPS hosting solutions out there. That said, you might not know that I run several of my own Drupal sites on a single SliceHost 256 slice (256mb ram, that is).
Since I put up my personal blog site using Drupal on a slice, I've noticed that the site, despite being very straightforward as far as Drupal sites go, was not performing very well (3-5 second page loads were common, 400-500ms before initial HTTP response codes). So, I decided to take a closer look to determine what was going on and try to resolve the performance issue.
I tend to consider myself a technical user, and for years, I operated various Linux distributions and setups to facilitate our home network. Mostly this meant a place to dump our backups in an intelligent manner, but I would also setup things like easy file sharing between our computers and even get fancy sometimes and so music servers or video streaming (though we never actually used any of that). However, after years of putting a lot of effort into maintaining that type of setup (keeping things organized, re-configuring everything after a workstation re-install, reconfiguring the server after a Linux re-install, etc), I decided I wanted something simple, that "just works." To be fair, part of my problem with using Linux was that the Linux box doubled as my development and testbed server, so I was always tinkering with it. Instead, I needed a box that would serve our family home network and not be my tinker box.
Enter Windows Home Server.