I think my previous posts have already indicated that my development environment, specifically my IDE, is important to me, and that I make a habit of exploring my options on a regular basis. For the last 7 months I've been using NuSphere's PhpED, which I've really enjoyed. The only things that I've been just a little dissatisfied with is that it only runs on windows and that its window arranging capabilities are not as robust as Eclipse. But, having seen a few tweets about NetBeans, I decided to visit this old acquaintance once again.
I had used NetBeans ages ago when I was learning a little bit of Java. It was good enough... for Java. Then, some time ago I had tried NetBeans 6 (I don't recall which minor version), because I learned they were working on building a PHP IDE out of NetBeans, which intrigued me. At the time, I simply felt NetBeans didn't stack up to Eclipse, and I hadn't yet discovered PhpED. However, with some recent twitter traffic about NetBeans, I figured I'd give the latest incarnation a spin to kick the wheels a little.
October 25, 2009 - 4:47pm | 10 comments
The Apache module mod_vhost_alias and its VirtualDocumentRoot directive can really be a great time saver for local development (some googling will explain why in more deapth). Basically, my local dev is set up so that I just have to create a directory in my aliases directory, and I just then navigate my browser to a URL matching the name of that new directory, and apache knows exactly what to serve automagically.
October 26, 2009 - 4:24pm | Add new comment
Validating user input is always a great idea from a usability and security point of view. However, when it comes to things like URLs, the data is complex and there is a very strict pattern that the data has to adhere to. From a data perspective, this is great news, since we can validate for what we want, not try to detect what we don't.
However, a lot of modern URLs don't always do a great job following RFC 1738. Specifically, I'm looking at you .Net guys who insist on putting UUIDs wrapped in curly brackets in query strings and the like. According to RFC 1738, curly brackets are "unsafe" within URLs and should be encoded to their URL-encoded entities.